Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:46:42 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, dmitry@gutov.dev, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:01:38 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> For Org, a number of people just update from ELPA. Releasing benefits
> >> these users.
> >
> > I don't see how is that different from updating from Git.
>
> Not all the users are even familiar with Git.

Are you sure?  I'm not.

And we aren't talking about "all the users", only those who want all
the latest fixes ASAP.  Emacs is a large and very stable package, so
the probability that the latest bugfix affects a particular user is
very low.  Thus, I believe that people who really need frequent
bugfixes are quite a few.

> >> So, what about "bugfix" releases? AFAIU, it is mostly producing a
> >> release tarball + waiting for Emacs to be packaged on major GNU/Linux
> >> distributions. The timing would be anything acceptable for the latter
> >> task, which appears to be a bottleneck in such scenario.
> >
> > That has only disadvantages from my POV: 2 hours of work to produce
> > and test a tarball with no benefits at all.  If someone wants to
> > volunteer to do that, fine.  (But then making a tarball by following
> > the instructions in make-tarball.txt is easy, and anyone can do that
> > for themselves if they want to.)
>
> Can it be simply automated?

Not easily, no.  There's always stuff that needs manual intervention.
Maybe someone could write and maintain a smart enough program to do
that, but it's not trivial, and there are always new issues to add to
that.