Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:20:38 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, dmitry@gutov.dev, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:59:43 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Not all the users are even familiar with Git.
> >
> > Are you sure?  I'm not.
> >
> > And we aren't talking about "all the users", only those who want all
> > the latest fixes ASAP.  Emacs is a large and very stable package, so
> > the probability that the latest bugfix affects a particular user is
> > very low.  Thus, I believe that people who really need frequent
> > bugfixes are quite a few.
>
> I have a particular category of users in mind - the bug reporters
> themselves. It would be nice if they had an opportunity to get _their_
> bug fixed simply after soon-ish bugfix update. People who report bugs
> are quite often just ordinary users, who do not know anything about
> patches or git.

That already happens -- we almost always either post the patches or
point to the commits (or both).

So these users are not the main target audience for the minor
releases.

> >> Can it be simply automated?
> >
> > Not easily, no.  There's always stuff that needs manual intervention.
> > Maybe someone could write and maintain a smart enough program to do
> > that, but it's not trivial, and there are always new issues to add to
> > that.
>
> I have looked through admin/make-tarball.txt, and I can mostly see hassle
> with updating NEWS file.

Look closer.  NEWS actually don't present a problem that needs to be
fixed manually.

> Or do you have some other problems in mind?

Yes.

> (Also, note that Po Lu seems to have some working code to generate tarballs)

So do we: see the make-dist script.  This is not what takes me two
hours each time I need to produce a release tarball.

(I actually don't understand where this discussion is going.  Do you
really believe I'm so ... unwise, after all these years, that I spend
two full hours of my time on something that can be easily automated?
really??)