Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 12:43:55 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I think I need to clarify. This is how export to info works _now_.
>> However, nothing stops us from implementing direct export org->info
>> without intermediate org->texi step. Someone just needs to do this job.
>
> Unless the implementation will somehow invoke texi2any under the hood,
> this would mean a separate implementation of texi2any in Emacs Lisp,

Yes. We already have org2pdf, org2ascii, org2html, but not org2info.

> something that I don't recommend: it will need to play a constant
> catchup game with the Texinfo development, and it will be probably
> quite slow.

I am not sure about catchup game. Unless Texinfo drastically changes the
output format, we can simply provide default settings to replicate the
Texinfo look of the produced html/pdf/plaintext/info files.

As for being slow, it is already not the case. Last time we discussed
Org export being slow, I have managed to speed things up on par with
Texinfo timings on Org manual.

In any case, the first step is extending Org markup to be more suitable
for software manuals. Whether we use texinfo under the hood or not might
be discussed afterwards.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,