Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 13:20:21 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I am not sure about catchup game. Unless Texinfo drastically changes the
>> output format, we can simply provide default settings to replicate the
>> Texinfo look of the produced html/pdf/plaintext/info files.
>
> Not the output format, but the language: new directives and sometimes
> markup are added with every release of Texinfo.  Just read their NEWS
> file.

The way I see Org markup extension would make it easy to users add new
custom markup, as needed. Then, no frequent changes to the base markup
will be necessary to accommodate for less common use cases.

In other words, I do not see why Org should support every single Texinfo
markup. We just need to provide enough support to be on par in terms of
the needs of manual authors.

>> As for being slow, it is already not the case. Last time we discussed
>> Org export being slow, I have managed to speed things up on par with
>> Texinfo timings on Org manual.
>
> That was for Org-to-Texinfo conversion.  Here we are talking about
> Org-to-Info, which is much more work.

Why so?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,