Re: Inline completion preview

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:58:33 +0000

Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com> writes:

> Sorry, that might have not been clear enough, I wrote:
>
>     ISTM that the best approach is a simple library that uses only
>     `completion-at-point` as a backend, because `completion-at-point` is
>     already extensible enough to support a variety of completion
>     backends.
>
> None of the aforementioned packages take that approach, so I wrote
> `completion-preview.el` do demonstrate and test this approach.  As to
> the question of adding this feature to core, since it's quite a simple
> and useful addition, I just think it could be nice to have it OOTB.

Don't corfu do it already?
>From https://github.com/minad/corfu:

    Corfu is a small package, which relies on the Emacs completion
    facilities and concentrates on providing a polished completion UI.
    In-buffer completion UIs in Emacs can hook into
    completion-in-region, which implements the interaction with the
    user. Completions at point are either provided by commands like
    dabbrev-completion or by pluggable backends
    (completion-at-point-functions, Capfs) and are then passed to
    completion-in-region. Many programming, text and shell major modes
    implement a Capf. Corfu does not include its own completion
    backends. The Emacs built-in Capfs and the Capfs provided by
    third-party programming language packages are often sufficient.
    Additional Capfs and completion utilities are provided by the Cape
    package.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,