Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 11:17:37 -0500

  >    So, Richard, I see that you are fighting to preserve something real
  > and important -- your vision of Emacs Lisp as a coherent language -- and
  > I believe that may be your prerogative as its creator.  But I also
  > believe you may be a decade or two too late.

It is not too late if we find a few more contributors who appreciate
what is at stake.

The consistent style of Emacs Lisp is one part of it.
But there is a more practical part, which I've explained recently:
the duplication, even triplication of features for the same job.
The result of this is to multiply what one needs to know
to understand the code in Emacs.

If Emacs Lisp had only one interface for doing a particular job, it
would be enough to learn that one.  But when it has several different
interfaces for doing the same job, you end up needing to know all
those interfaces.   Any one file probably uses one of the interfaces;
to understand that file, knowing that one interface is emnough.
But the next file you look at probably uses a different interface,
and the next one yet another interface -- so in practice you need to
know all the redundant interfaces.

This puts an avoidable extra a burden on everyone who wants to read
the Lisp code of Emacs.