Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 00:58:45 +0200

On 08/11/2023 03:19, João Távora wrote:
On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 12:33 AM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

On 08/11/2023 02:21, João Távora wrote:
On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 11:18 PM Dmitry Gutov<dgutov@yandex.ru>  wrote:

Joao didn't want to have such definitions in Xref. I'm still on the
fence, personally.
What don't I want?  I haven't read this wordy subthread but it seems
Eshel is proposing exactly what I changed in xref-find-extra: take "kind"
as argument.

Sorry: you didn't want those definitions in _Eglot_. Not in Xref, that
was a mistype.

Ah. Well, first, it a fact that I _have_ them in Eglot, and I'll
keep having them, because they've been there a long time.

The normal practice is to wait a little while until the new "core" feature is available for a lot of users (perhaps skipping a few Emacs versions, or - more bravely - wait for the next one and then just raise the minimum xref version required), and then declare the built-in versions obsolete in favor of the upstream.

The period before obsoletion is not as important as the agreement to do that - because then we will be talking whether the "proper" functionality should be shaped as a number of new commands (one per kind), or a dispatching command, or both. Or something else.

For the purpose of such design discussion, simply using Eglot's commands is not a good choice.

And it's not really relevant that I didn't _want_ them.  If I had
the choice back then between recommending existing xref commands
and adding new commands to Eglot, of course I wouldn't have added
them.  But I hadn't, so I did. Pretty simple.  So I don't understand
the argument you're making against Eshel's and my suggestion.

Since you didn't want them and argued that they shouldn't be in Eglot, it seems natural to assume that you would be happy to obsolete them in favor of built-in functionality.

Or it would be nice to hear from someone who have tried out Eglot's
integration and found more upsides there.
If you want that to happen, the only realistic way to have good
feedback from anyone else other than emacs-devel nerds like me and you
is to release an Eglot version with  this feature, which we can change
later (even non-backward-compatibly, within a reasonable time frame).
That seems like a last-resort type of approach, for this particular
discussion.

Not really, just being pragmatic and suggesting a way for you to
get the opinions from Eglot users that you wrote you wanted.  There
isn't a significant amount of engaged Eglot users in this discussion
that are going to try the patch.

Feedback is good, but I prefer to arrive at some sound design first, even if it doesn't do everything anyone might want. And then test it on a wider audience.