Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:01:53 +0200

On 11/11/2023 13:30, João Távora wrote:

BTW, do you know of any LSP servers for C/C++ have
implementation-specific actions/endpoints for any of the things that you
mentioned above?

Clangd, whose source code I've recently become familiar with,
has the capability of doing all of those but my vapourware
'memory-allocations'.  It doesn't expose endpoints to them, I think,
but it's not fundamentally hard to do (clangd has a very rich index
derived from the LLVM AST processing machinery, as you probably know).

So these features that are not available in the VS Code plugin yet? I guess we'll wait until that happens. But then it seems like Eglot will have to define the corresponding commands.

  > When I get around to finishing refactor.el which will inherit most of
  > Eglot's UI for doing refactorings, I don't plan to burn the concepts
  > of "organizeImports" and "quickfix" into it.  They are LSP things.

I things refactorings are inherently slower process, so having less
dedicated commands and more typing won't be a problem.

Do you have any WIP code/patch/branch for refactor.el? I was thinking of
giving it a shot soon-ish, but it would start with extracting some code
from Eglot anyway.

Yes, I have a refactor.el started, but  ot sidetracked.  I'll pull it
up soon, it's still unfinished but I would love some help and am
fairly certain we can collaborate to get at least the basics working.

I'm happy to take a look.

I think the xref-backend-extra-kinds/xref-backend-extra-defs is
the analogue mechanism I was looking for and couldn't quite commit
to but your patch and  this discussion has helped me see it is a
simple and viable way.

Indeed, I think that approach should fit it well.

Anyway, will try to do that coming weeks, do ping me if I forget,
we can even pair-program via tmate or something.

Sounds interesting. My Emacs doesn't really function in the terminal, but we could try.