Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:37:17 +0200

On 11/11/2023 13:44, João Távora wrote:
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 12:58 AM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

On 09/11/2023 22:44, João Távora wrote:
So I thought, that about 6 months ago we had established that
"definition" and "reference" are two relatively safe concept to
keep in xref.el, but other concepts should not be in there,
because this doesn't scale well and could imposes awkward
structure and hacks into an unknown number of backends.

Has everyone changed their mind?

My impression is that the first feedback from our patches actually made
people excited about things that _weren't_ included in the
previously-discussed plan, so it seems like a good idea to re-evaluate
it. Though not necessarily redo it all.

Though I guess this particular mailing list might be biased in favor of
particular type of users (keyboard-driven, faster interaction as a
priority).

yeah, the sample size is so small that's it's more than certainly
biased.

Most likely. It's too bad our actual audience here is quite small, and we don't have other reliable ways to collect feedback to prototypes.

Dropping an implementation into master is one way to test out a hypothesis, but it has inherent problems: the feedback comes late anyway, and quite often we'd end up having to maintain half-bakes features or unfortunate capabilities this way simply because they had been added and time had passed.

What exactly bothers you
about eglot-find-declaration/implementation/typeDefinition?
In LSP-land these concepts_do_  make sense, because the
LSP standard prescribes what servers should do with them.

I think we've actually discovered that these kind of make sense for
Elisp too. They might not match the current implementation, but
conceptually, in some future, they might.

Yeah, they "kind of" make sense, but not very well and IMHO that's
not a detail, but a big red flag.  It's clear, and I understand
your point, that if we were to squint to contort to them we could
have xref provide a consistent "works everywhere" UI.  But as
Spencer noted it would be "works _mostly_ everywhere".  And, as I
noted, the contortion might lead us up awkward alley, such as
finding a list mixing `declare-function` and `declare (compiler-macro`
in the bag of xref-find-declarations.

Why contort? From where I'm standing, declarations/implementations/typeDefinitions apply to almost any object-oriented language (C++/Java/Ruby/Python/JS), and even some functional ones.

Declarations might be less of a thing in some of those (mostly dynamic ones), but overall the list even makes a certain sense for Elisp (and similarly CL, I guess), at least in the OOP parts of them. And where they don't, one or two of these commands will fail to work, big deal.

What's the alternative? To have many similar commands

  ruby-find-implementation
  c++-find-implementations
  python-find-implementations
  js-find-implementations

that all do the same thing inside: call the Xref backend's "find implementations" mechanism? It will be especially great to use if some major mode authors bind that command to one key, and others to another.

And Spencer even wanted to put cl-defgeneric in that bag, which I
can fully understand, as cl-defgeneric can also be viewed as a
declaration.  But its a completely different concept from those
two.

If Elisp doesn't have any other kind of declarations, what is the worry? Let's put the ones it has.

Elisp's bag is different in that it will have separate kinds for faces/features/methods and, potentially, variables as well. But those are already in find-func.el and don't need new bindings.