Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:43:26 +0200

On 26/11/2023 22:40, João Távora wrote:
On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 4:08 PM Felician Nemeth
<felician.nemeth@gmail.com> wrote:

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

However, in the past it made sense to find the first xref backend that
knew the definition of an identifier.  Now let's assume backend A
provides definitions with letter "d" and backend B provides
documentation locations also with letter "d".

I think according to Dmitry these documentation locations
should be crammed somewhere in either "definition", "declaration" or
"typeDefinition" or "implementation".  Go figure.

Err, of course not. Every backend is free to return additional kinds (that's what the completing-read approach is for), and whenever we find out that particular kinds get supported by many backends (or by most of the available/popular ones), we could "pull them into the core", adding a global command with one binding which would work across languages.

That's one of the balances to pick: both choosing a set of commands to support across the backends, and to allow frictionless extensions for special capabilities.