Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:38:07 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> ...  The Org maintainers themselves proposed
>> some features (org-protocol and org-capture) that are good candidates to
>> separate from Org in this very thread.
>
> What about ox-* packages?  Could they be converted to more
> generally-useful export capabilities for Emacs?

Kind of. ox-* packages mostly rely on ox.el capabilities + Org mode
parsed representation. ox.el is also relying on the parsed
representation, except a few places.

If someone writes a parser that can understand alternative, non-Org
markup of source files, and produce org-element-ast.el-compatible list
structure, most of the ox-* exporters should remain functional.

> In general, I feel that the various useful capabilities in Org were
> generalized only to the level of Org, but not beyond that.  Look at
> ob-* or oc-* or ol-* -- these could be the basis of Emacs features
> useful in other places, but they are written in Org-specific ways that
> make using them elsewhere difficult and sometimes even nonsensical.
>
> I think patches to bring at least some of that into Emacs will be very
> welcome, in the same way we nowadays use some originally Gnus-only
> features in Emacs outside of Gnus (the most prominent example is
> message.el, but there are others).

oc-* is a part of the ox-* family.

ob-* for code evaluation libraries are not very modular currently - they
use a lot of ad-hoc regexp matching that is very difficult to
generalize. Much more difficult compared to exporter libraries
(although, not impossible).

If someone is up to extracting things from Org mode, and choosing
between babel and export parts, I recommend trying export first.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,