Re: cond*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cond*
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:50:46 -0500

(symbolp x) is simpler and more natural than the pcase equivalent,
which I believe would be (and (pred symbolp) x).  People seem to have
accepted the latter, without criticizing it as unnatural.  I think
they will accept (symbolp x) also.  I think that people will get used
to this once they start actually using cond*.

To require use of the more complex `constrain' form even for the
common simple cases would make cond* less convenient for real.  I
don't think it would be wise to create a real drawback to eliminate a
mere perception of a drawback.