Re: [ELPA] New package: activities

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: activities
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:53:21 +0000

As a very (and I do mean very) long time user, I would like to comment
on this thread.  I hope that's okay despite the fact that I do not
contribute much to the actual code in emacs.

I have never found desktop.el to be useful.  I do not start emacs from
different directories so find the whole idea of a desktop counter to my
use case.  I start emacs and then use it for days, working on different
completely unrelated projects or activities (teaching, coding, writing,
admin, email, whatever).  Emacs, these days, is usually also my window
manager (exwm).

The proposed activities package (which I have not yet had time to try)
appeals, given its description.  And that appeal would increase further
were it integrated or linked with project.el as the latter is more
sympathetic with how I use emacs.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that
works this way.  The power of Emacs is that it works for so many
different people and allows one to use it the way you want it, not the
other way around.

Building on top of desktop.el seems, to me, to be using the wrong
starting point.  If you believe that new packages should somehow build
on existing packages, then start with project.el which is more aligned
to the proposed package.  I would love to be able to type

C-x p p <choose project> a

with "a" for activity, say, taking me back to where I was last with that
project.

I'll go back to lurking now. ;-)

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.2