Re: Incorporate package macrostep into Emacs core

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: Incorporate package macrostep into Emacs core
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:14:58 -0500

If it works only for Emacs Lisp macros, then it makes sense to put it in
the ELisp manual.

It's a minor mode, and the documentation describes commands of that
mode.  I don't think the ELisp manual is a good place for such
features.  We have "Programs" in the user manual, which describes
features for developing programs using Emacs, and I think it's a good
place for describing this feature.

Not that I necessarily disagree, but I think it warrants at least a mention in the Elisp manual section about macros, because it's very helpful for understanding how macros work. If it were only mentioned in the Emacs manual, new Elispers who are reading up on macros could easily overlook this great tool.