Re: Building the igc branch on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building the igc branch on MS-Windows
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 17:34:23 +0300

> From: Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>
> Cc: eller.helmut@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:00:21 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Byte compilation works, as is shown by building the entire tree.
> > Tree-sitter support needs finalizers to be ... ahm ... finalized
> > first. What else is there that is supposed to work with the current
> > source?
>
> Great! I'm not using treesitter, so I haven't checked, but
> the finalizers are there and should finalize, at least in theory.

OK, I will build with tree-sitter then and see how that works.

> Also interesting woujld be if igc_on_idle is called in the right place,
> or if it could/should be called elsewhere. Igc_on_idle does 100ms of GC
> work, and processes MPS messages (finalization, GC start, ...).

I'll take a look.

> My plan after getting native-comp working, would have been to tackle
> interactive use. Alas, I tripped over an LLDB problem yesterday that I
> want to get out of the way first.
>
> Anyway. Another interesting question would be how to possibly automate
> (random) testing of the GUI somehow. Do we have something that goe sin
> that direction?

No, we don't have any automated testing of GUI, unfortunately.
There's test/src/xdisp-tests.el, which attempts to test what little
that can be done in batch mode, and there are a few tests in
test/manual/, which must be run interactively.