[Orgmode] Re: Wish list: Storing links and enabling MIME actions on file

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Wish list: Storing links and enabling MIME actions on files
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:44:35 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I occasionally receive documents (like PDF files) in emails and I want
>> to just save some of the attachments to a local directory for reference
>> in my org file (usually because the email contained half a dozen
>> documents and only 1 is interesting.)
>
> One idea is to be able to add a search string in email link types.
>
> For example: [[gnus:nnml.orgmode#6548::org.pdf]] would fetch the mail
> #6548 in nnml.orgmode Gnus group and search for the string "org.pdf" in
> the body of the mail (this could also be a regexp). Then RET will open
> this PDF attachment with the right app.

Thanks - I'll try that.

>> I'd like to be able to link to the file easily for my org document and
>> have it invoke the appropriate viewer as defined in my MIME setup.
>
> Org uses the local mailcap setup to decide what application to open a
> file with.  Don't you have this on your computer?
>
> ~$ man mailcap

Yes I have mailcap - and I assume Gnus is using it to open the MIME
attachment with the pdf file in it.  I don't have anything in ~/.mailcap
- only /etc/mailcap on my Debian system.  It just doesn't seem to
associate filename.pdf with the viewer for some reason.  I'm probably
missing something simple in the mailcap setup.

Bernt