Re: [Orgmode] A few new user questions, Custom agenda views, calendar in

From: Manish
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] A few new user questions, Custom agenda views, calendar in frame, and Hyperlinks on win32
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:12:11 +0530

  On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Jonathan Arkell wrote:
  > Hi Everybody
  >
  > I have some fairly simple new user questions, and I am hoping you
guys can help me out.

  > I have a few custom agenda views that I would like to create, but I
  > am having some issues. My files are laid out in 1 file per project,
  > and each file starts with a level 1 outline element tagged
  > :project:. (I do have other file types that are appropriately
  > tagged).  I thought that if I wanted to list all TODOs in all my
  > (appropriately tagged) project files, it would be as easy as setting
  > up a custom agenda command. The one I set up had a tags-todo type,
  > with search "project" or "+project", but I get … well… no
  > results. Ideally I'd like to have a couple of different lists, all
  > project tagged files with TODO items and all project tagged files
  > with WAITING items. Can someone give me a hand? (I'm not adverse
  > to using setq in my .emacs, in fact, that might make things a little
  > easier for me anyways)

Like Matt said earlier, defining FILETAGS at the top of a project file
is easier approach.  Fast tag filtering is the most amazing way to
zero in on items.

  > Secondly, I am having an issue where my Calendar is popping up in a
  > new frame all the time, either when scheduling an item or through
  > remember. I'd rather it pop up in a new window instead. Is this
  > possible?

Can you please try:
(setq pop-up-frames nil)

  > Finally, I am having a problem with some external links, whenever I
  > try to visit a file like \\AWindowsServer\path\to\file I get the
  > error message "eval: ShellExecute failed: The system cannot find the
  > file specified. ^M" Is it easy to fix this? What is going on?

This seems to work for me:

;; for invoking external viewers from within dired
(require 'extview)

(push '("\\.html$" . ask) extview-application-associations)
(push '("\\.doc$" . "C:/PROGRA~1/OFFICE11/WINWORD.EXE %s")
extview-application-associations)
(push '("\\.xls$" . "C:/PROGRA~1/OFFICE11/EXCEL.EXE %s")
extview-application-associations)
(push '("\\.pdf$" . "C:/PROFRA~1/Adobe/Reader\\
8\\.0/Reader/AcroRd32.exe %s") extview-application-associations)

--
Manish