[Orgmode] Re: Results of the SourceForge Community Award

From: User
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Results of the SourceForge Community Award
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:19:37 +0000 (UTC)

Bastien <bastienguerry <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Org-mode didn't win but it was really great to participate and to have
> all these nice contributions from so many people!

No wonder it didn't win. Non-emacs users have few incentive to
try it, since they think emacs is bad looking and primitve in
general, so they are looking for something more flashy instead
and do not even try it.

On the other hand org-mode needs some marketing in the emacs
community as well. I'm a longtime emacs user and heard about org
mode before, but I thought it was something overly complex and
looked for simpler solutions. Then I tried it one day and was
blown away by how mature it was and how well written the
documentation was.

So it's a natural fit for an emacs user, but obviously alien for
people how don't use emacs and don't know the Emacs Way of doing
things.