Re: [Android] Running debian + emacs on my Android G1 [was: [Orgmode] em

From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
Subject: Re: [Android] Running debian + emacs on my Android G1 [was: [Orgmode] emacs + orgmode on Ubuntu on Android G1]
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:00:57 +0100

Hi!
Adam Spiers schrieb:
> [sorry this is getting a little off-topic for non-Android users]

Yes, but the point is getting org-mode to run on android.

I propose we add [Android] as a cookie to the subject lines, so people
can filter them.

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:02:06PM +0100, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> > The debian "installer" you link to on the wiki is technically very
> > unsound. If you look at the installer.sh and debootstrap scripts
> > you'll see that they are full of magical thinking, smoke and mirrors.
> The Debian links were added by someone else - I've only tried the
> Ubuntu image which I linked to.

I see. I didn't look at the changelog for the page ;)

> > (I didn't look at the ubuntu installer.)
> Yikes, 4755 certainly sounds mad - however the permissions in my
> /system/bin are much saner, so presumably the ubuntu installer doesn't
> do that.

Ok.

> > I'll keep you posted and when I'm done with a working org-mode setup,
> > I'll update the entry on the emacs wiki.
> That would be great, thanks!

A small update, I'm not done yet:

I have emacs + org-mode running now, but it's very slow. Emacs on
its own runs and starts quite fast, but as soon as I add my whole
config, it takes 90 seconds to start, and 30 seconds to change in the
org-mode agenda from one day to another.

As 30 seconds are way too long, I'm obviously going to try cut down my
config and maybe just use a subset of my org-files on the phone.

If I can't that last figure below 5 seconds I think the experiment is
going to be called off as a failure. (Or maybe I'll just use the local
emacs as an emergency fallback if I have no network access.)

Apparently some system administration tasks on the debian installation
take so much memory that the whole system gets unstable, because the
oom killer is going to kill important services. I just had to reboot
my phone after generating a UTF8 locale. I looked at adb logcat and
the android core was very unhappy and killed every service it could
find, even the phone service... So I probably want to make sure I
don't need to use my phone when administrating the debian
installation.

> > I didn't run emacs yet, but I have a suspicion that it might run a
> > little faster on a native ext3 partition than from an image file.
> What do you mean by an image file - does yours involve some kind of
> loopback?  My Ubuntu install is simply a root filesystem under
> /system/sd/ubuntu (and /system/sd is native ext3) therefore a simple
> chroot /system/sd/ubuntu plus mounting of /dev/pts, /proc, and /sys
> inside it are sufficient to provide the Ubuntu environment.

The debian installer uses a loopback mount, as it doesn't require a
native ext filesystem. This is probably handy, but I guess most root
mods these days use an ext partition anyway, so why not just use
that...

Kind regards
     Friedel
--