Re: [Orgmode] table, moving cells

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] table, moving cells
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:58:24 +0200

Hi Martin,

On Sep 25, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Martin G. Skjæveland wrote:

Hi,

is there a quick way for moving a cell about in a table? I enjoy swapping the order of rows and columns in a table using Meta + [arrow], but I have not found a ways of doing the same for a single cell. Is it possible?

Example, with the cursor on '2' in the following table

| A | B | C |
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| x | y | z |

and pressing [move cell left] would give me

| A | B | C |
| 2 | 1 | 3 |
| x | y | z |

Thanks!

I fail to see the use case for this.  Yes, this can
be useful sometimes, and you can use `C-c C-x C-w' and
`C-c C-x C-y' to cut and paste individual fields or
even rectangular regions.  But for pushing a cell value
to a neighboring cell, I don't see a frequent use that
would call for a special command beyond what I listed above.
Do you?

- Carsten