Re: [O] Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 00:00:36 +0200

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Thorsten Jolitz
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> although using Emacs/Org-mode for almost everything, I still write my
>>> "official" correspondence with a (quite nice) OpenOffice template. It
>>> would be so much easier and faster to just use Org mode for that too.
>>
>> You can use opendocument export and use your Libreoffice template with
>> it. Check the archives for Jambunathan's post detailing how to do
>> that.
>
> Ok, thanks, though that would not be my perfered solution.

Well I assumed it would be since you already have a "quite nice"
OpenOffice template. If you are after latex templates for letters in
specific, I think Org mode might be the wrong tool for that. The tree
structure is a fundamental part of Org. This works very well for
articles, reports, theses; however I'm not sure it works as well for
letters. You might be better off by just using latex directly.

That said, maybe you could look for a latex template on CTAN[1]. Then
you could customise org-export-latex-classes to include the
documentclass provided by the package. Although I'm not sure how a tree
structure could be mapped to a letter.

If you do succeed, I would be interested to know.

GL

Footnotes:

[1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.

--
Suvayu