Re: [O] [texinfo] Bug(?) in detailed node listing

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [texinfo] Bug(?) in detailed node listing
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:44:36 -1000

Hi Jon,

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Tom,
>
> On 20 February 2013 19:45, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> I can't figure out how to get the detailed node listing formatted
>> correctly, so I want to call this a bug.  An example shows the problem:
>>
>> * Hacking::                        How to hack your way around
>> * MobileOrg::                      Viewing and capture on a mobile device
>> * History and Acknowledgments::    How Org came into being
>>
>>  --- The Detailed Node Listing ---
>>
>> Introduction
>>
>> * Summary::                                              Brief summary of
>> what \
>> Org-mode does
>> * Installation::                                         How to install a
>> downl\
>> oaded version of Org-mode
>>

> I'm guessing you mean the extra distance between the title and the
> description of the listing?

Yes.

> This is not exactly a bug... In an attempt to get all the descriptions
> to line up correctly I aligned them all based on the longest
> subheading.  I'm guessing in this case there is an extremely long one
> somewhere farther down.

Yes, that explains it.

> I couldn't find any specification as to how far they should be aligned,
> otherwise I would have set them to a specific column instead of
> basing them on the longest headline.
>
> I should be able to fix this to be more reasonable, however I would
> need an opinion as to what distance would be appropriate/desireable.

* MobileOrg::                   Viewing and capture on a mobile device
* History and Acknowledgments::  How Org came into being
* GNU Free Documentation License::  The license for this documentation.
* Main Index::                  An index of Org's concepts and features

Based on this example from the Org manual, it looks as if the
descriptions should start on column 32 or the third column after the end
of the title, whichever is greater.

Thanks for your help on this.

All the best,
Tom