Re: [O] Quotes for LaTeX export

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Quotes for LaTeX export
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 22:42:16 +0100

Hi Laurens,

Laurens Van Houtven <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm writing a book using org-mode. On export, org-mode turns double quotes
> like "hello" into ``hello''. Some modern LaTeXes no longer support that
> form, instead preferring semantic markup. (The reasoning being that the
> markup implies a particular quote style, whereas quotation style is
> language-dependent.)

This is not true.  Quotes depend on your LANGUAGE-cookie.  See
org-export-smart-quotes-alist.

> As a result, I get
>
> The preferred way to do that these days is, in the preamble:
>
> \usepackage{csquotes}
>
> ... and then later:
>
> \enquote{something}

But this would require us to load an extra package.  Org is quite
capable of handling this on the lisp side (and Org ≠ LaTeX).  Clearly,
we could have a org-export-user-smart-quote-alist taking priority over
the predefined one.

> I think it would make sense to support this for org, and perhaps eventually
> make it default behavior. FWIW: I had no idea about this until it bit me
> when my LaTeX document suddenly had bogus quotes in it.

This has never happened to me, despite extensive usage of LaTeX for
almost ten years.

> If there is no interest to add this to org, how do I hack org so that this
> is what it does?

The cleanest way would be a filter, probably
org-export-filter-quote-block-functions and filter-plain-text.

The easiest way would be a macro or simply redefining
org-export-smart-quotes-alist to suit your needs.

Hope it helps.

—Rasmus

--
Er du tosset for noge' lårt!