[O] Extraneous output from Python code blocks using :session option

From: Richard Stanton
Subject: [O] Extraneous output from Python code blocks using :session option
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:38:25 -0700

I'm trying to use the :session option so I can import modules, etc., just once
at the beginning of my document, like with am IPython notebook. Unfortunately,
the output from these code blocks contains some extraneous characters. For
example:

#+BEGIN_SRC python :session :results output
a = 2
b = 3
c = 4
print 'a=      ', a
print 'b =     ', b
print 'a + b = ', a+b
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: b =      3
: a + b =  5

How can I stop the production of all those ">" signs (sometimes they're dots),
which don't appear if I run the same code block without the :session option?

Thanks.

Richard Stanton