Re: [O] "Capture"-like browser plugin?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] "Capture"-like browser plugin?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:35:25 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Excellent! That works. It prepends "CAPTURE-2-" to the filename I specified
>>> in the template, but otherwise seems to work
>>> beautifully.
>>
>> This is not working as expected. Each time I click the Org Capture button in
>> Firefox, it opens a new buffer (CAPTURE-2-links.org,
>> CAPTURE-3-links.org, etc.). These buffers have no prior contents, only the
>> current link I'm trying to capture. If I save the buffer,
>> it saves to links.org, the filename I specified, apparently appending to the
>> file. Is that as expected?
>>

> What does your org-capture template look like? Did you try it explicitly
> (i.e. not through the extension, just an ordinary capture)?
>
> FWIW, it works fine for me.

The template is this:

    ("l" "org-protocol" entry (file "~/org/links.org" "Links")
     "\n* Link: %c\n%U\n%i\n" :immediate-finish)

If I do a capture explicitly using this template, it also gives me the
CAPTURE-N-... buffer.

>>> Now to look for the Chrome version.
>>
>> I found a Chrome Org Capture extension, but no way to configure it for which
>> emacsclient to use, which capture template, etc. Am I
>> missing something?
>>

> Whatever you are missing, I'm missing too. In my case, it wants to call
> xdg-open which basically calls the desktop environment's underlying
> "open" (e.g. gnome-open, exo-open, etc.), so I think I need to configure
> that underlying open properly.  But I have no idea what happens on OSX.

Thanks. The OS X instructions on the org-protocol page
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html> seem to be tied to a
Mac app, EmacsClient.app, which is tied to Aquamacs, a Mac-ified version of Gnu
emacs which is not the one I'm interested in
using. Also, I've tried installing EmacsClient.app per the instructions (i.e.,
download and unpack the ZIP, but the ZIP does not
unpack for me. If I unpack EmacsClient.zip, it gives me EmacsClient.zip.cpgz.

Thanks,
-pd