Re: [O] "header-args :eval inline-only" not working

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: [O] "header-args :eval inline-only" not working
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 02:43:32 +0000

> On Aug 19, 2017, at 7:24 PM, Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> There is a bug in the documentation  -- `org-export-babel-evaluate' is
>> obsolete. It should say `org-export-use-babel’.
>
> I don’t see org-export-use-babel in available options. I cannot customise it.
>
> '(org-export-use-babel (quote inline-only))
>
> Seems to have no effect. Is that so because, as you say later, users are not
> supposed to touch this option?

No.  You must have an older version of org than

commit 3b5ce449c4b16291ad56e23d5be1e480e57d906f
Author: Charles Berry <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Nov 12 18:54:20 2016 -0800

    Replace `org-export-babel-evaluate' with `org-export-use-babel'

Did you try `C-h v org-export-use-babel RET', click `customize', etc?

>> But that part of the manual is irrelevant to what the `:eval' header does.
>> There is no `inline-only' value in either the documentation or in the lisp
>> code.  So, `inline-only' acts like `yes' for the reason I stated earlier.
>>

>>> With current org, I get this behaviour only if I globally set the option.
>>> But that somehow disables ":results”.
>>>

>> Right. `:results' is a babel header.  When babel is off, the babel headers
>> are not acted upon.
>>
>> Setting `org-export-use-babel' to `nil' or `inline-only' turns off babel for
>> src blocks.
>>

>> The behavior was purposely changed. With `inline-only' none of the babel
>> operations will be executed for src blocks  -- i.e. the src blocks and
>> existing results (if any) will be exported as is.
>>
>> Users should avoid touching `org-export-use-babel' for almost all purposes.
>> It does not do the equivalent of setting `:eval' globally.
>>

> I just saw this thread:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-02/msg00443.html
>
> I certainly feel that the current behaviour is a regression. The user should
> have the possibility of controlling globally or buffer-wide whether the
> source codes are evaluated at the time of export or not. org-export-use-babel
> does not do that. It turns off babel completely, exporting codes and existing
> results as is.

Try

#+PROPERTY: header-args :eval never-export

and don't forget C-c C-c to update when you add this.

> This is clearly a regression as far as my use case is concerned.

It seems like `:eval never-export' set globally handles the uses most folks had
for the old behavior, and I think a bug was fixed by Nicolas in changing it, so
reverting is probably not going to happen.

Chuck