Re: [O] Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1

From: Carsten Bormann
Subject: Re: [O] Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:16:31 +0200

On Sep 12, 2017, at 16:07, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017, 9:56 AM Carsten Bormann <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Works perfectly.  But it would be nice not to have to apply this patch each
> time I update.
>
> Would it be possible to make hfmt1 configurable?
> (Preferably, using a buffer-local variable so I don’t have to break tables in
> org-mode proper?)
>
> I use a different approach to do the same thing using ox-gfm (based on a SO
> solution). Look for orgtbl-to-gfm function here[1] and also my  notes at the
> end of that file.
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-markdown.el
> --
> Kaushal Modi

I am aware of a number of these workarounds.
The specific one you are proposing does not work for me as the markdown tables
are in collaboratively edited documents and I can’t get the other authors to do
any special dance around the tables; orgtbl-mode has to just work.

Besides, a 83-line workaround for what can be done seamlessly by changing one
line of code?

(Yes, it would be nice to also preserve the column alignments, but we already
have a solution that gets around that limitation.)

Grüße, Carsten