[O] Babel: filtering code to produce another block

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: [O] Babel: filtering code to produce another block
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:34:17 +0300

Greetings.

This question can again be described shortly and in more detail.

1. Short form: what would be a convenient way to filter the source
   code in a Babel source code block so that the output would be the
   source code in another block?

2. Then the long form. I need to emulate the very basics of one
   programming language, namely Processing

   https://processing.org/

   with another, namely Asymptote

   http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/

   This is to be done within Org. I need to do this to illustrate on
   paper the visual output of simple, static (no animation) Processing
   programs.

   Making this work roughly isn't too difficult, because these two
   languages have very similar syntaxes. For example, provided that a
   function rect() has been implemented in Asymptote, the following
   code is legit in both Processing and Asymptote:

   #+name: pic
   #+BEGIN_SRC asymptote
     size (800, 600);
     for (int i = 0; i < 10; i += 2)
       rect (i * 10, i * 20, 30, 10);
   #+END_SRC

   After this block has been defined I can show it as "Processing
   code" and draw a picture with Asymptote, using noweb if need be. It
   is also easy to use transforms so that the coordinate systems of
   the two languages match. Furthermore, typedef can be used to align
   some variable type differences.

   However, my current issue is dealing with 'final' in Asymptote. The
   following is not legit Asymptote code:
   #+BEGIN_SRC asymptote
     size (800, 600);
     final int S = 20;
     rect (100, 100, S, S);
   #+END_SRC

   It would be legit if the word 'final' were simply removed. Which
   brings me to the question: what would be an easy way to filter this
   block to produce another block? The header arguments of the two
   blocks would be different from each other.

Thanks in advance,

Jarmo