Re: [O] Allow more export options to be controlled per-subtree

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Allow more export options to be controlled per-subtree
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 21:19:37 +0200

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:47 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Besides the fact that it is not available, is there any incentive to do
>> so?
>

> While talking to Amos (now CC'ed on this email) off-list on Gitter chat
> regarding the ox-hugo package, he had this test case[1] where he sets
> *:nil" to prevent the interpretation of Org emphasis chars in that table,
> which exports to this Markdown[2], and finally this[3].

I already answered to this problem. Use \star instead of *. It seems
sub-optimal to prevent any emphasis markup because of a single
problematic character.

>> AFAIC this variable could not exist.
>>

> I didn't understand that.

I mean this variable doesn't solve any problem. If one doesn't want Org
syntax to interfere with their contents in any way, then Org mode may
not be the appropriate major mode for the task.

Therefore, I said that, AFAIC, this variable could as well go away. From
my point of view, making it more prominent is counter-productive.

In the same category, there is `org-export-with-tables'.

By the way, it is already possible to prevent emphasis in a subtree
export:

    * Subtree
    :PROPERTIES:
    :EXPORT_OPTIONS: *:nil