Re: [O] [rfc] org-dired

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] [rfc] org-dired
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 18:53:26 +0100

>> org-dired (https://github.com/marcowahl/org-dired) is a experimental
>> little tool to ease attaching files to org subtrees via dired.
>>
>> Actually I use this feature quite often.
>>
>> Up to now org-dired-attach-hardlinked-to-next-best-orgee is the only
>> function available.
>>
>> The flow goes like so
>>
>>     Prepare
>>     - In a dired buffer mark files or have the cursor on a file.
>>     - Have also an org mode window open.
>>     - Place the cursor in an orgee. (Orgee is short for org subtree.)
>>     Act
>>     - M-x org-dired-attach-hardlinked-to-next-best-orgee
>>     Enjoy
>
> Why is hard linking mandatory? Couldn't this function obey to
> `org-attach-method'?

This was just my preference since I hardlink almost all of the time.
Further attach-methods should be included, I agree.

>>     - Find the files attached to the orgee.
>>
>> Feel free to play with the implementation.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> According to this description, I think it could be implemented as
> a function within "org-attach.el" instead of a new library.

I chose org-dired.el because of the similar gnus-dired.el from which the
idea has emerged.  org-attach.el also looks like a good location for the
feature to me.

> Also, in the context of Org, an "org subtree" is simply a "subtree".
> I prefer "subtree" over "orgee".

Okay, I will stay with "subtree".

Thanks!
       Marco