Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some comments after using planner.el for a

From: Niklas Morberg
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some comments after using planner.el for a while
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:09:08 +0200

"Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Sacha Chua wrote:
> | Niklas Morberg <address@hidden> writes:
> | >
> | >3 When publishing the wiki, it would be nice to have a
> | >  "today.html" file. That way I could use that as a start
> | >  page in my browser, and it would always have the current
> | >  day.
> |
> | I do that dynamically, but maybe something like that is part of
> | planner-calendar...

planner-calendar wasn't included in my debian package of
planner.el. I got the version from
<http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/emacs-wiki/dev/planner/planner-calendar.el>.

> (defsubst planner-calendar-today (&optional max-days)
> ~  "Return today or the first day before today with a day page."
> ~  (planner-calendar-prev-date
> ~   (planner-calendar-tomorrow (calendar-current-date))))
>
> (defun planner-calendar-create-today-link (&optional name)
> ~  "Create a link to the newest published day page."
> ~  (let ((target-file (emacs-wiki-published-file (or name "today")))
> ~        (source-file (emacs-wiki-published-file
> ~                      (planner-calendar-date-to-filename
> ~                       (planner-calendar-today)))))
> ~    (when (file-exists-p target-file)
> ~      (funcall planner-delete-file-function target-file))
> ~    (shell-command
> ~     (format "ln -s %s %s" source-file target-file))))
>
> (add-hook 'emacs-wiki-after-file-publish-hook
> ~   'planner-create-today-link nil t)
>
> Let me know if it works and I'll commit it.

The code works (at least on a GNU/Linux system). I had
problems getting the hook to work (even after changing it
to run planner-calendar-create-today-link :). The hook did
not seem to be active in my planner buffers. I saw Sacha
had a strange hook construct for auto-publishing:

(add-hook 'emacs-wiki-mode-hook
          (lambda () (add-hook 'after-save-hook
                               'sacha/emacs-wiki-auto-publish nil t)))

and with the same construct, I could make the hook work:

(add-hook 'emacs-wiki-mode-hook
          (lambda () (add-hook 'after-save-hook
                               'planner-calendar-create-today-link nil t)))

Thanks for your help, this was just what I was looking for.

Niklas