Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: snippet to ido-switch instead of planner-go

From: fouvry+emacs-wiki
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: snippet to ido-switch instead of planner-goto today
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:49:52 +0200 (CEST)

,-- On Tue, 29 Jun, Jody Klymak wrote:

[...]

| I'm not sure.  This problem comes up with many emacs applications -
| there is never any point in setting up a set of windows in a frame
| the way you like it because it ends up getting clobbered by some
| temporary message or completion buffer.

You can alleviate that problem by adapting
special-display-buffer-names and related variables: with this,
you can at least keep temporary buffers, completion buffers,
help, etc. out of the way, i.e. in their own frame (or some other
setup - see special-display-function).

| ido-mode has been the nearest thing to giving me what I want.  So
| therefore the solution.  Its not perfect, but at least when it
| switches buffers it travels to the frame that I last had the buffer
| in rather than using the current frame.

I have it installed, but I'm not using it.  Too many frames make
me nervous ;-), but from time to time I use more than one.

Frederik