[emacs-wiki-discuss] Blogging, remembering, planning (was Re: changing p

From: TC
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Blogging, remembering, planning (was Re: changing planner-directory on the fly
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:51:28 +0100

TC:
> I'm still trying to figure out the best way to
> > blog/journal/track-finished-tasks/etc using emacs-wiki and its
> > growing army of related widgets.

Sacha:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeQuickStart describes
> how to finish tasks....

Yea, hmm, <skeptical grimace>, shrug, wriggle, but, hmm, nothing
quite fits yet :-)  I guess the problem is I don't *really* know what
I want, but it would include the following:

1. Marking a task as done would update - for free - a history
of stuff I've done (this already happens).  And, for a low cost, I'd
get the option to include some comments on the task in question (this
doesn't).  That would see five to twenty-ish entries per day.

2. Apart from task marking, I'd also like to be able to remember/blog
stuff that is not necessarily task-related. I'd expect that to be used
less frequently - perhaps a few times a week.

3. I'd like categories, certainly for the remember/blog items - specifically
to allow selective viewing.  In fact, maybe the task-related entries would
simply be a category; apart from that, task-related entries would be just
another remembered/blogged item.

For 2. and 3. I originally thought I wanted two separate mechanisms; one
like planner's C-c C-x (but with comment capability), and the other like
blosxom.  But making the task stuff simply be a blosxom category seems
to simplify that nicely.

4. And I want to have some access control.  I manage engineers, so as
well as having widely shareable technical ramblings and rantings, I
also have HR-related stuff that should be seen only be certain individuals.

I'm looking at blosxom access control for this; I've been playing with
cookies and the login plugin.  So far I've got it behaving simply, but
I can't figure out how to let a particular user see "everything except Y".

Onwards and lispwards.

tc