[emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner project switching, what else? :)

From: chris
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner project switching, what else? :)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 05:17:44 -1000

(Another re-post, sorry)

I'd really, really like this to work - I've noticed that it doesn't seem
I'm alone in this - plus, I've got a lot of time invested in it already,
and it seems (naively?) like it should be doable.  As a bonus, what
better way for me to get comfortable with Emacs Lisp?

If I'm wrong about it being doable, would someone please set me
straight, ASAP? :D

At any rate, most of what follows is just stuff that I'm curious about,
and if anybody has a quick comment, I'd appreciate any pointers.

I've noticed that I can use emacs-wiki-change-project to successfully
change to a different wiki project, but if I try to change to a Planner
project, I get an 'wrong type' error.

A little digging shows:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  file-name-directory(nil)
  emacs-wiki-visit-link("WelcomePage")
  emacs-wiki-change-project("LsmPlanner")

I created "WelcomePage" just to make sure that its absence wasn't the
cause - it wasn't. :)

It turns out the error occurs because file-name-directory was passed the
value of (buffer-file-name) => nil, probably because (buffer-name) =>
*temp*.  It isn't surprising that there is no file name associated with
that buffer, and thus the error.

Could some kind soul save me a few hours (probably more!) and give me a
quick rundown of:

  * how planner got involved, and
  * why a *temp* buffer might be necessary.

I realize how multi-faceted Planner is - after all, that is why I am
spending all this time on it! - and that that requires some complexity.

Being relatively new to Planner, one might suppose that since it works
with/is based on/grew out of EmacsWiki and since EmacsWiki appears able
to change projects at will, Planner might too.  Apparently EmacsWiki's
functionality fell short of Planner's requirements in this respect - is
there somewhere I might learn more about this, short of trying to deduce
everything from the code?

Mahalo,
Chris

--
You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
-- Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)