[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: (Repost) Switching projects

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: (Repost) Switching projects
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:11:53 +0800

address@hidden writes:

> But I thought projects involved a _set_ of different directories,
> potentially different markup, regexps, stylesheets, etc., etc. that

Oh, you can change stylesheets easily. By changing planner-directory,
planner-project, and a few other variables in your planner-switching
function, you can control which emacs-wiki project is loaded.

Your markup rules probably won't change much, as it requires less
brainspace to have consistent rules over your projects than it does to
have really, really custom rules. =)

> Maybe it is just my programming 'instincts', but when Sacha
> mentioned in an earlier post that an 'elegant way' of switching
> projects had yet to be found, it piqued my curiousity and my
> professional interest came to the surface.

Come to think of it, Raymond Zeitler's code is a pretty good way. I
haven't tried it because I manage everything in one planner project.
If people find manual switching fits their ways of working, I guess
it's okay. You'll need to manually switch so that
planner-create-task-from-buffer makes sense, anyway.

Possible areas for future sophistication: automatically detecting what
project and plan page newly-created tasks and notes should be
associated with! <grin>

> The great majority of the Planner code I've had the time to examine
> in depth seems quite pleasing, and my sense is that there is an
> increasing cohesiveness to the overall structure - do I sense
> Sacha's hand here? :) So I can appreciate her desire for an elegant
> solution.

John Wiegley's work, mostly, although I am quite pleased about the
emacs-wiki flexible URL handling. <impish grin>

> Unfortunately, I have many demands on my time just now, so I can't
> spend nearly the amount of time on learning the code that I would
> like to, though I *do* need to use Planner in support of the code I
> am supposed to be working on! ;)

Does manual switching fit your needs? Can you describe what you'd like
to happen? =)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun