[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: How I started using Planner

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: How I started using Planner
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 06:42:58 +0900

Andreas Stemmer <address@hidden> writes:

> That's my biggest problem. I always try to change my way of doing
> things radically, just to make it "perfect". Of course this never
> works, so I end up with changing nothing at all.

<grin> Hang out on this list and you'll probably get the hang of this
constant improvement thing, too.

> appointments are written down on post-its and fly around my desktop.
> Another problem is, that I misuse my inbox as todo-list, it gets
> cluttered with all kinds of emails I wanted to act upon sometime.

Amen! I used to use my inbox as a TODO list before, but I kept
swinging between losing mail and having an overwhelming number of
messages. Planner's mail-linking feature went a very long way to
making my mail-related tasks manageable.

> I know that I have to get a better organization if I want to be more
> productive, but I'm not sure about the "how". Originally, I only wanted
> to have a good system of taking notes and finding them again. I searched

Okay, let's get you started with the basic stuff, then. Have you
gotten planner up and running? This might be help you get started.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeQuickStart .

Here's a possible plan:

- Set up remember to save notes to your planner pages. See comments in
  remember-planner.el . Play around with this. Get used to saving
  stuff to it -- random notes, whatever.

- Enjoy it for a while.

- Get the hang of using planner-create-task-from-buffer (I have this
  bound to F9 t SPC because I use it so much). For best results, make
  sure you call (plan) every day. I have it at the end of my ~/.emacs
  and I always start up Emacs, so...

- Think of something else you want to be able to do. =)

Hmmm. Work/home... Anyone have tips for that?

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed