[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Entity markup

From: J. Bromley
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Entity markup
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 04:30:37 +0000 (UTC)

The short story is ignore that last patch. It seems to work with emacs-wiki
alone, but NOT when planner uses emacs-wiki to generate HTML. The long story
follows.

On 2005-02-08, J. Bromley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was looking through some of the sources emacs-wiki generated and I noted
> that ampersands, greater than and less than signs were not being properly
> converted to entities. Is this a known problem?
> I am submitting a patch, but to me it just feels really kludgey. My one
> concern is if it plays nice with emacs-wiki-markup-entity. I believe it does,
> and have done some tests that seem to indicate that it does, but as I don't
> use many entities I'm not sure. If nothing else, the patch can serve and an
> indication of what is wrong and perhaps some of those more skilled with the
> emacs-wiki code can make use of it.

A big oops, I retract the patch, it works too well with planner mode! The rule
is no where specific enough and it catches every instance of <>"'&, even those
that should be left, like tag delimiters. This only seems to happen when
emacs-wiki is used to publish planner pages, so I'll obviously have to do a
deeper investigation of how planner uses emacs-wiki to generate HTML and
implement another solution.

Sorry, I got a bit excited when I patched emacs-wiki-publish.el and tested it
with emacs-wiki and all was well. As soon as I republished my planner pages
and loaded the HTML in my browser I realized I had biffed it hard.

Anyway, I'm still interested if anyone has any comments on generating
entities. I'm particularly anxious to get my web pages XHTML 1.0 compliant.

Sorry again and regards.

--
--| Jay Bromley |--| jbromley at gmail dot com |--