[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Schedule, Diary and Planner

From: Edgar Gonçalves
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Schedule, Diary and Planner
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:53:35 +0100

This morning, Sacha Chua wrote:
> address@hidden (Edgar Gonçalves) writes:
>
>> 09:30-11:00 PPADNI (T) FA3 (LeicIst) 15:00-15:40 Pool (LeicIst) but this
>> ends up with an horrible html formatting, withouth linebreaks, etc, etc.
>> Could anyone point me to some info on this matter?
>
> A quick workaround would be to keep your diary entries in emacs-wiki markup
> style
>
> 09:30 | 11:00 | PPADNI (T) FA3) (LeicIst) 15:00 | 15:40 | Pool (LeicIst)
One problem - weeklly-view.el doesn't like this separation of start/end
time. So it discards the end time and I get appointments that last for one hour
(the default), always. Also, the tect get's too big, as I get an appointment
named "| 11:00 | PPADNI (T) FA3) (LeicIst)"... not good!
And I like to see a nice weekly schedule, once and awhile :)

> and the like. Alternatively, we could put all of the diary results in a
> <pre>...</pre> Hmm.
>
> (defadvice planner-diary-update-section (before edgar activate) "Make TEXT a
> list."  (setq text (with-temp-buffer (insert text) (goto-char (point-min))
> (while (not (eobp)) (unless (looking-at "^\\s-*$") (insert "- "))
> (forward-line)) (buffer-string))))
>
> This makes the inserted diary entry a list.
This is much better! I like this better than Olson's approach to redefine
`planner-diary-insert-diary', this is much less development disruptive! I
haven't made defadvices into my mindframe yet, but I can see their potential :)

The only thing I can see it's missing here is the ability to make the list have
a class="" attribute. But this is generic to emacs-wiki, not just planner
itself. I had to change tasks and notes generation to include these attributes,
but every normal emacs-wiki section/text/list/whatever doesn't have a mean to
provide such a customization level. Am I right?

--
Edgar Gonçalves
Software Engineering Group @ INESC-ID