[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: remember-region: save the source file informati

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: remember-region: save the source file information
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:31:11 +0800

Scott Otterson <address@hidden> writes:

Quick answers before I disappear for the weekend:

> If it did, would that go in a buffer somewhere, which could be
> pasted somewhere else? The planner bookmarking functions you
> mentioned (thanks) were indeed useful for referencing files outside
> of the Wiki. Here are some more questions about links:

Hmmm, that might be handy.

> 1.) how can I make a link to a file or directory outside of the wiki
>   (just the file, not lines inside of it)

[[/path/to/file]], [[../relative/path/to/file]],
[[/path/to/file][label]], ...

> 2.) if, in a project page, I run planner-create-note, the note ends up
>   in the day page but not the project page.  Is that a bug?

Bug! I'll fix that this Monday.

> 3.) what is planner-create-task-from-note supposed to do? Is there a
> link between the task and note?

The created task contains a link to the note. No changes are made to
the note. Handy for calling when you're in a Planner buffer, as the
normal planner-create-task-from-buffer doesn't care if you're in a
note or not.

> 4.) is there anyway to make the remember or bookmark links more
>   concise? I'd like them to display just the link name, like on a web
>   page.

'[[some link][label]]' displays as 'label'.

> 5.) if I change the text of a task or note, how can I get it to show
>   up on both the planner and day page.  planner-update-* seems like it
>   should do this.

Hmm, slightly misleading. planner-update-task actually just updates
the status; the description needs to be the same. You're probably
looking for M-x planner-edit-task-description . If you want text to be
automatically updated whenever you save a file, use planner-id.el and
add IDs to the tasks before you change them (or add IDs to all of your
tasks).

> but found that the promotion and demotion functions (C-c <, C-c >)
> messed up the bullets.  Any suggestions?

Carefully write your own? <laugh>

> 3.) Is there a relationship between the note headings and the allout
>   outlines?  In other words, is the outline under a note heading (.#1,
>   .#2) a part of that note? (note collapses outline, outline shows up
>   on both project and day pages, ...)

Yup. .#2 counts as a second-level heading.

> I tried out org-mode (http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/)
> and found that it was pretty close.  However, for me, the fact that
> the outlines have '*****' type headers makes them too unreadable for
> me. But otherwise, it's pretty close.

Hmmmm... If org-mode is closer to your needs, maybe we can hack the
headers to fit your style. ^_^ Or we can extend Planner to absorb some
of the cool stuff in org-mode, and have even more fun.

I think org-mode supports remember and/or planner...

> * outline display cycling (this is really great!)

Hmmm. This should be doable.

> * simple and logical shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts? We can rebind...

> * TODO's mixed in with outline

You can actually do this too.
http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/plans/MoveToCanada.txt has some
tasks organized into a bit of an outline.

> * easy to do arbitrary hyperlinks

We do arbitrary hyperlinks! =)

> * excellent ascii and html export
>    - note: outlines in planner html exports get munched all on
>      one line if you have many sublevels.

We've got to work on that...

http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/doc/dev/planner-el.pdf ;)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed