Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Linking To files

From: Paul D. Kraus
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Linking To files
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:40:27 -0400

This works well now is there a way to force it to open certain kinds of files in emacs instead of launching them? For instance when i link to a Perl script (some file.pl) when i tab to it and hit enter it launches the program in a command window rather then opening it for editing.

Not trying to be nick picky but just trying to tailor this so that it fits my needs.

You guys do excellent work!

Paul

Chris McMahan wrote:

As far as I know,
[[file://c:/path/to/file][file name]] within the task text should do
the trick

- Chris

Paul D. Kraus writes:
Is their away to link to files anywhere on the filesystem from a task.
For instance I might have a task that will require me to right a script that generates an excel file. It would be nice to be able to have my task so that I can jump to the script for editing and even better if I could jump to the excel file and have it actually launch excel and open the file.

Example
#A  _ Create Sales Report [note] [script] [report]

where [note] equals a link to me notes on that task (I know how to do this).
where [script] is the program that i would want to open in emacs to edit (generally a perl script) and [report] which is usually an "M$ Office" binary file such as excel or word that I would want to be able to have it open excel rather than try and open the file in emacs.

Thanks,
Paul