[emacs-wiki-discuss] problem with punctuation in plan page names

From: John S J Anderson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] problem with punctuation in plan page names
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 07:15:00 -0400

  In the euphoria of finding planner-multi for the first time, I started
  using a number of classes of "accessory" plan pages. Previously, I had
  pages for various people, meetings, etc., and I called them things
  like 'MeetingTeamMeeting', 'MeetingTwoPm', 'PersonJohnAnderson',
  'PersonDaveSmith', etc. Because of planner-multi, and not wanting to
  have day page lines that are so long they wrap around, I started using
  different punctuation characters to indicate page 'class' -- '+' for
  tags, because it looks like a 't'; '!' for people, because people are
  important; '&' for meeting agendas, because 'a' for 'ampersand' and
  'agenda'; and so on.

  Doing the links in this way presents a bit of a problem, however,
  because something in the planner/emacs-wiki stack doesn't like
  them. If I create a new task and enter '!JohnAnderson' when I'm
  prompted for the plan page, the link I get out is actually
  [[!JohnAnderson][!]] -- easy to manually correct, but slightly
  annoying. This morning, I just found out that when
  planner-carry-tasks-forward-ing, all the links get rewritten -- so all
  the [[!JohnAnderson]] links get turned back into [[!JohnAnderson][!]].

  This appears to be specific to links that start with punctuation,
  because some other things that I had forced to be links (e.g.,
  [[UpgradeTo1750s]]) were carried forward fine (and there's no problem
  with entering those when creating a new page).

  Before I roll up my sleeves and start trying to figure out what regexp
  to munge on, does anybody know how to fix this so I get the desired
  behavior? Is it even possible, or should I just go back to my old
  system with explicit keywords?

thanks,
john.
--
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."
  - Ken Olsen, then president of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), 1977.