[emacs-wiki-discuss] [off-topic] Emacs-like buffer functionality for Jav

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] [off-topic] Emacs-like buffer functionality for Java
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:59:28 -0500

Since I am going to be forced (for better or for worse) to work with
Java next semester for some of my classes at Purdue, I've decided to
bring some Emacs functionality with me :^) .

The purpose of this project is to make hacking on files using Java
more bearable for Emacs aficionados.  The secondary purpose is to
contrast Java's use of "StringBuffer" with an example of what a *real*
buffer interface looks like.

A quick list of capabilities includes:

 - Moving the point
 - Getting buffer information
 - Setting buffer information
 - Getting parts of the buffer
 - Inserting text
 - Deleting text
 - Searching
 - Reading and writing buffers

Archive :: address@hidden/emacsenv--java--1.0

Tarball :: http://www.mwolson.org/static/dist/emacsenv--java-latest.tar.gz.

Zip :: http://www.mwolson.org/static/dist/emacsenv--java-latest.zip.

Every function (or nearly so) has been tested semi-thoroughly.  An
attempt at documentation has been made, including a full list of
available functions and a README.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about this.  Eventually I'd
like to port it to C/C++ once I have classes that use these languages
again.  I highly doubt that this will ever turn into JavaMacs ... I'm
not fond enough of this (mostly, in terms of working implementations)
non-Free language to want to make such a thing.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp