[emacs-wiki-discuss] More flexibly named "Time" pages

From: Greg Novak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] More flexibly named "Time" pages
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:57:41 -0700 (PDT)

As it stands, the only time period Planner knows about are days. There are Project pages and each task must be scheduled onto a specific day. I'd like Planner to know about weeks, months, etc, and so far I've been doing this by hand.

Specifically, I'd like pages like 2005.August, 2005.September.Week1, 2005.Year, etc, to be treated just like day pages are treated now. I'd like to be able to use planner-copy-or-move-task to reschedule a task from 2005.September.Week1 to 2005.September.Week2, for instance. In a perfect world, these tasks would be swept forward onto the next week/month/whatever page just like uncompleted tasks on day pages are now, but let's leave that for the future...

The obvious way to achive this is to hack planner-date-regexp to recognize the more liberal date name format. I looked into this a bit, and in many places it seems like this will work (the code is calling (string-match planner-date-regexp name) as a simple true/false test), but in other places (for example in planner-appt) the code uses match-string to extract years, months, and days after using planner-date-regexp.

My question for people more familiar with the internals of Planner is: Is there a slicker way to do this that I've just missed? If not, does anyone have any opinions about how this should be done? I'd imagine defining "planner-time-page-regexp" and then changing code that currently uses planner-date-regexp as a true/false test to use the new regexp.

Thanks for your help,
Greg