Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: More flexibly named "Time" pages

From: Alex Kavanagh
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: More flexibly named "Time" pages
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:15:47 +0100

At Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:10:14 -0400,
Sacha Chua wrote:

> Greg Novak <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What I'm finding works better for me is to plan from the top down,
> > rather than the bottom up.  That is, each month I choose the two or
> > three things that are my _highest_ large scale priorities for that
>
> Ahhh! You want Franklin-Covey-style planning, applying the First
> Things First principle. (I spend a lot of time reading productivity
> books so that I can drop buzzwords like that. ;) )

I would definitely like to try this approach too.  As I seem to suffer
from ADT (trait rather than disorder), I feel I need to really get on
top of my planner vs. procrastination habits.

> Okay. You don't need to do anything special in Planner to do that. All
> you need is a whole bunch of functions that will let you easily
> navigate between day, week, month and year pages.

Yes, I like the sound of this.

> One way to do that would be to define functions like:
>
> greg/planner-get-page date period - returns the planner page for the time
> period
>   ex: "2005.08.01" 'week -> "2005.August.Week1"
> greg/planner-zoom-in - interactive, moves down one step
> greg/planner-zoom-out - interactive, moves up one step
> greg/planner-pan-right - move to the next time period
> greg/planner-pan-left - move to the previous time period
>
> You can use another variable for your base date for zooming (set it to
> the current date or today).
>
> Bind convenient keyboard shortcuts to navigate in, out, left and
> right, and there you go.

This is starting to sound very usable.  I currently don't do the 'top
down planning approach' although I've read about it.  Probably why I
never seem to *really* make progress on the things that I want to do
at the long timescale periods.  I guess this would use
planner-multi.el as well?

> For extra fun and profit, you can add buttons or links to your
> planner pages that make it easy for you and other people to go up to
> week, month and year views. =) We can also add a custom HTML tag
> that displays the calendar for the week, and so on.

Well, this just went beyond me.  I don't tend to use the HTML and
emacs stuff at the same time.  Do you actually *use* the HTML pages
that are generated?

OT: is their and emacs-wiki 'back' function that goes back to the
exist?

Cheers
Alex