[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: More flexibly named "Time" pages

From: Greg Novak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: More flexibly named "Time" pages
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 22:56:05 -0700 (PDT)

This is starting to sound very usable. I currently don't do the 'top
down planning approach' although I've read about it. Probably why I
never seem to *really* make progress on the things that I want to do
at the long timescale periods. I guess this would use
planner-multi.el as well?

No, you won't need special support from planner-multi, since the
high-level pages contain only high-level goals and the detailed pages
contain only detailed tasks. In fact, the weekly high-level goals
don't even need to be tasks. They can just be plain text.

True, they don't need to be tasks, but I think it's nicer if they are. This way you can keep _all_ the day, week, and month tasks associated with a given project on the Plan page. So all the "strategy" stuff goes into the Plan page and all the "time allocation" stuff goes into the time pages. This is one of the things I like about how Planner handles day pages: you can either look at all the things associated with a given day, or all the things associated with a given project. I think it's nice to separate these two things.

So, right now if I try to enter 2005.August (or something like that) when Planner wants a date, it seems to ignore the input, as though I had typed "nil". Planner seems to treat 2005.August as though it's a Plan page, not a Time page. Therefore I'm using planner-multi to put links of the form (2005.August PersonalProject) into my tasks.

Greg