Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] new user questions - configuration, timeclock,

From: Patricia J. Hawkins
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] new user questions - configuration, timeclock, nested task, publishing
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:42:08 -0400

PM> Thanks for your input and help.  I followed Sacha's advice by looking
PM> at the planner documentation and reading the headers for each of the
PM> additional lisp files.  I have a good idea what other code I wish to
PM> load in my config file.  I still do not grasp the config loader for
PM> the .emacs file due solely to my absolute ignorance of lisp.  No
PM> worries though.  I will search the web and learn a bit more about
PM> emacs lisp.  Thanks again.

You want the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, which is available online as
HTML, or can be bought in book format, or can be downloaded as a
gzipped set of info files.

And this list, emacs-wiki-discuss, is very helpful with programming
issues and questions.

As for whether you put the set up in a config file or your emacs file,
it's a design choice.  I move items into seperate config files to keep
my .emacs file from getting even larger and hairer and more
disgusting.

At the bottom of any config files I create, I put the following:

(provide 'pjh-planner-config) ;; or whatever its name is
;;; Local Variables:
;;; after-save-hook: (emacs-lisp-byte-compile)
;;; End:

The after-save-hook stuff means that any time I edit and save the
file, it gets compiled, which speeds everything up when its loaded.

I make sure to put my config file on my load-path (type ^H v load-path
to find out what yours is -- mnemonic is "help variable load-path")
and in my .emacs file I put:

(require 'pjh-planner-config)

HTH!

--