Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: tenmins [countdown timer code]

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: tenmins [countdown timer code]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:42:52 +0100

> thomas knoll <address@hidden> writes:
>> Can anyone take Jeff Covey's [[
>> http://www.43folders.com/2005/09/jeff_covey_runn.html][tenmins
>> idea]] and make it work for planner? I would really really benefit
>> from a script like this, and it seems perfect for planner- (what do

> Hmmm...

> Okay. What are the pieces we need for this?

[snip]

> * We need to pop up a reminder

>     appt.el might do the trick. planner-appt.el already interfaces
>     with it, so it should be easy to figure out how to get it to alarm
>     in 10 minutes. Hey, you know, that'd be useful for tasks with
>     estimated times, or as an anti-procrastination tool...

>     I'm not entirely sure how to do the countdown clock, but since
>     there's some kind of a clock in the modeline (display-time), there
>     should be _some_ way to get a nice countdown...

I started fiddling with this part, and came up with this countdown/up
thing.  It puts a timer display on the mode-line and/or on the timed
task.  The display on the task line is quite fragile at the moment: it
is susceptible to wild and reckless editing, which is likely to
displace the timer overlay.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway