[emacs-wiki-discuss] muse-mode-auto-p

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] muse-mode-auto-p
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:25:58 +0000

In order to retain the old automatic mode guessing, I put

(setq muse-file-extension nil)
(setq muse-mode-auto-p t)

in my configuration.  This doesn't work, of course, since
muse-mode-maybe is only added to find-file-hooks through customize.
For those who are customize-averse, as I am, perhaps this should be
noted in the documentation for muse-mode-auto-p; something like:

"If non-nil, automagically determine when Muse mode should be activated.

Setting this variable outside of customize will not have any
effect. If you want to have automagical muse-mode activation and don't
want to use customize, add `muse-mode-maybe' to `find-file-hooks'
manually."

[that would be `find-file-hook' for emacsen >= 22.1].

I also initially set muse-file-extension to "", thinking that it
should be a string, but that is not the case since one then gets a
period appended to all files.  Perhaps this should also be noted:

"File extension of Muse files.  Omit the period at the beginning.

Set to nil if you want no default file extension for muse files."

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway