Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-gtd.el -- (very) rough beginnings

From: Patrick McKnight
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-gtd.el -- (very) rough beginnings
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:05:07 -0500

Mark,

I look forward to trying out the function once I get a few other
things done.  I have been searching for a planner mode that would
mimic the way I use GTD and have not found a suitable method yet.
Perhaps your function will do the trick.  I'll report back with my
impressions and suggestions.  Unfortunately I know nothing about elisp
but am a fairly competent programmer.  Perhaps if I take the time to
read through the elisp manual I can get a grasp of some of the
features and help out.  In the meantime, I remain indebted to you for
your efforts.

On 11/8/05, Mark Simpson <address@hidden> wrote:

>     Sacha> Mark Simpson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     Sacha> I use task sorting to separate my contexts. C-u
>     Sacha> sacha/planner-score-sort-tasks makes it easy to bubble up
>     Sacha> tasks with a certain keyword. I also have this other
>     Sacha> planner-sort-task-key-function that sorts by time,
>     Sacha> priority, and a few other things. With a little tweaking,
>     Sacha> I'm sure we can get it to sort by @____ - whatever word's
>     Sacha> in your context!
>
> I'll have to look into this, it might be enough for what i need.  I
> currently use a context 'tag' at the beginning of the task and then
> use a shell script to grab them from my project files.
>
>     >> (defun planner-gtd-read-name (file-alist prompt initial)
>
>     Sacha> <grin> I prefer having as few prompts as I can, so I'd
>     Sacha> probably go with just having @ complete properly in the
>     Sacha> minibuffer (doesn't it?).  I have some code that
>     Sacha> automatically picks up priority and status from the task
>     Sacha> description, and I've been lazy enough to specify contexts
>     Sacha> in task descriptions as well.
>
> Hmm you have a good point and on reflection i think the extra prompt
> may turn out to be less useful.  Currently if i forget to put a
> context 'tag' at the beginning of my tasks it shows up when i print
> out my Next Action list, and i correct them... it is low cost when i
> forget, my prompt is an up front cost on every task.  Maybe i should
> have done a better usability study with my user community (me).
>
>     Sacha> there's probably a reason why you wrote your code
>     Sacha> the way you did... =)
>
> Oh i think you give me too much credit [grin]
>

> Thanks for the feedback,  I'll go look at your sorting functions
> tonight; but after trying out planner-trunk i think i really like the
> way it breaks out the sections which will allow me to visually jump
> right to the context i want.  I'll have to try both ways and see which
> works better.

Cheers,

Patrick
Patrick E. McKnight, Ph.D.