Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner/diary integration question

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner/diary integration question
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:21:53 -0500

leon <address@hidden> writes:

>   John Sullivan <address@hidden> writes:
>   >> Is it possible to create an diary entry automatically when a task is
> created?
>   >>
>   >
>   > Under what circumstances would you want to do this? Like, with certain
> kinds of
>   > tasks, with all your tasks, when you use a specific command...? I'm sure
> it's
>   > possible using planner-create-task-hook.
>
> I just want to see in the calendar if I have tasks/appoints.

Do you know about the function (planner-insinuate-calendar) ? If you add that
to your .emacs, you will be able to browse your planner pages through the
calendar.

This function below seems to work, with brief testing, though it misses some of
the annotation information. You can bind something like it to a key, or even
add it to planner-create-task-hook if you want to create a diary entry for
every task you create.

If you want the entry to have a time associated with it for the emacs appt
reminder, make sure you start the task description with the time, like "7:00pm
do this".

(defun wjs/planner-diary-add-current-task ()
  "Add a diary entry using the info from the task under point."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((info (planner-current-task-info))
         (date (nth 0 info))
         (desc (nth 4 info)))
    (planner-diary-add-entry date nil desc)))

If you want it to happen automatically:

(add-hook 'planner-create-task-hook 'wjs/planner-diary-add-current-task)

>   >
>   > But also, have you looked into planner-appt? That's a task-based way to
> handle
>   > appointments.
>
> Seems just what I want. Will look into it. By the way 'appointment' is
> what other PIMs such as evolution call 'event', right?

Probably, yes.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net